Countries and Continents Present Relocation Challenges
Countries use different electrical outlets. © 2018 ion web works
Some countries provide 220-240 volt, 50Hz power while others provide the 120 volt 60 Hz power you'd find in Surrey or Victoria, BC. Countries use different electrical outlet connectors. Adapting to what is provided is a key attitude.
Once you know which type will be used in the destination country there are voltage converters, plug adaptors, etc. that help you adapt the use of devices you want to bring along.
High wattage devices like curling irons, blow dryers may tax power converters or devises such as computers requiring sine wave performance may be a little problematic with power converters as they shift between 50 and 60 cycle operations. COnsider the costs of buying those locally on arrival at the destination.
Links For Moving Worldwide from Canada
• Living Outside of Canada: A Canadian guide to working, studying, volunteering or retiring in a foreign country.
• Banking: You will need to be able to pay for your purchases in the country you are travelling to when you arrange housing, transportation or even to pay import duties. Canadian banks such as BMO, HSBC, RBC, and Scotiabank, arrange accounts through their international branches or affiliates. Comparing the destination banks: exchange rates, fees, service in English, ATM fees and other monthly fees.
• Taxation: Changing your Canadian residence for tax purposes means handling the Canadian government departure tax charges. Further selling your home versus renting it out could have implications to you ongoing taxes you might want to consider.
• International Health Care: The bank you select may be able to recommend health insurance options. Health care while you are moving and coverage for issues not covered by government programs are important to prepare for, even if as simple as more immediate emergency service or ambulance assistance.
• Your Antique or Luxury Vehicle: Taxes, vehicle performance standards, documentation for customs clearance on arrival, storage and quarantine are considerations when moving it to any country. The need to baby your prized vehicle, as it gets crated inside a container, added to those considerations make the experience Bekins has earned over the years even more important. CLICK HERE To let Bekins know about your vehicle and destination. We'll get back to you with help.
A pre crating inspection of a silver antique vehicle. © 2018 ion web works